Wednesday 1 April 2015

Scottish goalie trend (part 3): Allan's thoughts

Last but not least in this original mini-series of interviews with Scottish international goalkeeping talent, is Allan's thoughts on the differences and standouts from his reflections on his goalie career path and Scots background. Allan offers an honest and refreshing account on things (always makes for a better read and to learn from; not that the other two aren't or haven't!), and some sound advice for you young goalies out there.

Allan in action for Southgate.


1.       As one of the first Scottish goalkeepers to head south to play in the English national leagues, do you think this was a key move forward for the Scottish system?

My move South was motivated by work rather than hockey. However it also brought an opportunity to play in a far more competitive league. I think that it certainly helped me to become a better goalkeeper at the time.

2.       Do you think it helped English coaches and fans of that area of hockey recognise what Scotland has to offer in terms of quality goalkeepers (i.e. with Amy Gibson playing at Old Loughtonians etc.) ;) ?

As in...we have more to do?! :-) We usually did / do to be fair. I'm sure that coaches looking at it from selection and training point of view certainly took it into consideration.

3.       Now that you have stepped back from international commitments, who would be your pick of the bunch for Scotlands future and earning as many caps as you have, starting in goal?

I think the three current guys involved (Jamie, Gavin and David) will be jostling for the starting job for a few years. That's obviously not to say that someone from the U21s or even the U18s can't stake a claim to at least be involved with the senior programme. The good thing as my years in the national setup went on was that the number of games we played each year increased, so there are more chances for young goalies to be involved. It still took me 10 years to get to 50 caps though!

4.       Do you think Ali McGregor will also be a goalkeeping hero for inspiring future goalkeeping talent, after his notable goalkeeping performance in the 2008 Olympics?

I think that for that to happen Scottish Hockey needed to make more of the situation at the time. It's been nearly 8 years since Ali played in Beijing. His performance at that tournament was stunning and his performances in the year building up to the Olympics were consistently outstanding. I don't think enough noise was really made around and after his Olympic performance. He was / is a goalkeeping hero of mine and a great partner to work with.

5.       You were coached by George Guy, who is well known for his goalkeeping tuition in Scotland, did this mentorship prove useful in where you are today?

George (first) coached me 1994/1995 which is a bloody long time ago! There are certainly a lot of things that we worked on in those days that I still use to this day. I've tweaked them to fit in with the current style of hockey but certainly the basic principles that we worked on all those years ago still hold true. George ended up working with a lot of the guys that came through the East District setup, and I think between the pair of us we ended up coaching a fair few decent goalies into national programmes.

6.       Was there anything that stood out as a marked difference between the approach coaching goalkeepers in Scotland versus what you have seen of the English way of doing things?

I think to be honest there is a lack of goalkeeping coaching throughout the whole of the UK. I've been very fortunate to be coaching some great goalkeepers in England at the moment but that's only towards the very top of the age group setup. When young goalies are going back to their respective clubs there is just not the knowledge and quality to help them make those 'next' steps forward.

7.       Do you think the notable performances in Europe with Azzuri Kelburne helped ‘put you on the map?

I think that it helped but looking back and being a bit reflective I don't think that I was all that good in Europe! I really struggled to get into the games. My goals against were, for the most part, poor. It maybe put me on the map for the wrong reasons! Again if I'm being honest I never fully enjoyed or appreciated the experience; the teams I played against were all very good in their own way and the teams I played for were hard working and as best prepared as they could be, we probably deserved better in terms of results (2007 in Bloemendaal certainly). But away from the pitch I really did not enjoy myself, it felt like a bit of a hollow existence for the time I was away. Now that I am an old man I enjoy my EuroHockey experiences both in terms of on and off the field. With Inverleith in 2012 and this year I have loved playing in matches and played well in them too. That means off the field I can be more relaxed and not be worrying about the next game.

8.       Was moving to Surbiton a risk at all, as you moved south to take over at the club?

It's always a risk moving clubs. It was a risk when I moved to Kelburne (and every other club too). It was a risk when I moved to Surbiton. I knew no one at the club, I had never played in the Premier League before and I was less than 4 months post surgery on my hip. It could have been a total disaster playing wise. But as I said in Q1 I actually moved for work first and hockey second.

9.       With your own coaching experiences, how/would you compare the standard and approaches of coaching goalkeepers in England to Scotland?

I think the standard is good across both countries. The difference is that in England it's more than a 1 man team trying to get across the message. It was a rarity in Scotland to have someone come and actually do goalkeeping, even from a coaching point of view.

10.   Getting the chance to play in the national league from such a young age, do you think it is important for young goalkeepers to get that opportunity, so long as they have the talent?

Yes. Without a doubt. I was very fortunate, Inverleith had been relegated to Division 2 and there was essentially a fire sale of players. Guys that had been around for 8-9+ years were told they were not the future and they stepped down a level. We had a great groups of guys around my age (14-16 years old) that were thrown into the 1st team and a few very experienced players were kept in the team. We grew up together, won 5 outdoor and 3 indoor junior Scottish Cups together (consecutive years) so it helped shape us as players for when we actually became adult players.

11.   And would you encourage this, in spite of the alternative point of view from coaches?

Absolutely.

12.   Are there any notable junior goalkeepers you know of ready to challenge at the top tier in Scotland?

Being based in London sadly doesn't allow me the insight to our up and coming goalies. I'm pretty sure there are kids who aspire to be the best though.

13.   What words of sage advice would you give goalkeepers who have their own national league ambitions?

Always want to get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment